Aubrey Abroad

Keep up with me while I explore England!

Thursday, June 22, 2006

How Chav!

So today I saw the most chav (British English for "white trash" which I plan on using a lot in the States!) thing ever: a van with St. George's flag on it! Who flies the flag on non-match days--chav blokes!

Yesterday (Wednesday) we had class and then we were seriously productive. We did our last 3 required sites. We went to the British Museum and saw the Rosetta Stone and the Elgin Marbles. Then we went to Sir John Soane's museum, which I hated. It was this man's house stuffed full of things he collected over the years. I only like the Hogarth paintings and the house itself. It was so cramped I felt like I was going to knock something over. Last, we stopped at the British Library to see the mauscripts. It was really cool to see Jane Austen's copy of Persuasion and her writing desk. There was also a copy of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales and Beowulf. Also in display was Lewis Carrol's first edition of Alice in Wonderland which was inspired by the various passageways and hedges at Oxford. Then we had a group dinner at a Southern Indian restaurant. We had really good chicken, saffron rice, samosas, and the fried onion things Rupa always talks about. There was a sort of bread, too, but it wasn't naan.

Today was my last day in London! We had a paper due this morning and then Kelsey and I went shopping. I bought another pair of Birkenstocks! I know, I know, but at least these will last me way longer than purses. These shoes are an investment. I didn't own any sandals and now I have two! They are brilliant!

Okay, off to bed for me since we have to be up super early and on the coach at 7:45 am to leave for York! Bye!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well,
So, my love, sounds like you're having an amazing time. One word: jealous.
Third week of classes are done, thank the Lord. So, only 5 weeks (a hand). Yay.
Rupa and I are going to go see the Lakehouse with Sandra B. and Keanu R. Hopefully it'll be good.
Other then that not a whole lota that I can say. I'll send you an email this weekend.
xoxoxo

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have fun in York and Edinbrough, like that is a real hardship! Did you go see Phantom?

love you, you dog,
mom

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home