Aubrey Abroad

Keep up with me while I explore England!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

THIS IS GOING TO BE LONG...


Sorry to all those old people who liked the large font, but it looks weird. Anyway, yesterday (Monday) we had class frim 9-11:30ish. We had to meet at the Museum of London at 1:30. There are 4 biology majors on the trip and we keep seeing posters for this body exhibit, so we decided to book tickets (www.bodiestickets.com). Anyway we are going tomorrow (Wednesday). It was even hotter outside Monday than it was Sunday. We took the tube to the museum and found a cute pub to eat lunch at before meeting at the museum. I had a chicken and cheddar baguette with chips (fries). It was huge and really good. Then we went to the most boring museum ever! It went through different time periods of the city. I enjoyed the 1800's, when people had money to build mansions and have wealthy possesions, but the Roman and other old stuff was boring. Then we went to St. Paul's Cathedral. Christopher Wren actually mimiced St. Peter's Basillica for this cathedral. More importantly, Princess Di was married there. It is gorgeous inside. The mosaics were more modern, 18th century, than the rest of the cathedral, but beautiful none the less. We decided to climb the dome. This is, mind you, the highest point in London. I only had to take one break, but it was worth it. It was a clear day and you could see everything! It was seriously breathtaking. Going down, I was scared I would fall. My legs were shaking for a while after that. We took a rest and listened to the choir that was singing; it was really cool too. Then we needed water! We took the tube back to ACCENT. I went and puchased a journal to write my class journal asssignments in and change money before dinner. We ate at a turkish place, Tas. I thought it was medditerranean because they had amazing hummus! The food was never ending and really good. We slowly walked our way back and dropped our bags off before going to the grocery store. We needed some essentials. Then we did some journaling and went to bed.


Today (Tuesday) we went to Oxford. We had to meet at the coach stop at 8:45, so we had to leave our flats at 8 to take the tube because of moring traffic. We got there just fine. It was coffee time! Then we took a double decker coach to Oxford. Of course we sat on the top (it was enclosed)! The drivers are crazy!!! We made it there and we took a talked to a couple of British Summer Institute Alums. One is a professor of American History there and the other is a Rhodes scholar. We had a lunch break and found a great sandwhich place to get quick hot sandwhiches. Then we took a 2 hour walking tour of the colleges. We saw the dining hall , the library where the books are actually chained to the wall, and some of the corridors they used in filming Harry Potter. I see where Rowling gets her inspiration for Hogwarts. Christ's Church is a beautiful college that we toured and the one used in Harry Potter. After our tour, we were free. We did a bit of shopping and found a great cookie place. Then we decided to come back. The coach ride took like 2 hours this time because of all the traffic in London and our driver was even crazier!!! Anyway, now we are going to do homework and eat some dinner! Love All

1 Comments:

Blogger Grey-Eyed Mom said...

I second Carla's request for photos! Google's picture organizer/editor Picasa has a cool feature that lets you post pictures directly to blogger.

And if you are going to the body exhibit that I think you are going...I am insanely jealous. It would definitely be a biology majors dream.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home